On Call Firefighter
City of West Des Moines
West Des Moines, IA
Full-Time or Part-Time
Paid-On-Call Firefighters are responsible for protecting life and property by performing fire prevention, suppression, and rescue activities. If you want to become part of a well trained team of community oriented Firefighters, you are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be able to reach a West Des Moines Fire Station within four minutes. Valid Iowa Driver's License, good driving record, and high school diploma or equivalent also required. Your first four months with the Fire Department will be spent on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in a basic fire training academy where you will be trained to the national standard of Firefighter II.
$9.18/hr - Opportunity to earn additional hourly pay for obtaining additional certifications.
Steps to Apply for the Paid on Call Firefighter:
1. Online Profile: You MUST complete an online profile. This includes all sections under the My Profile Section. A link is provided below to our Online Application System.
2. Attachments: You must attach your High School Diploma, and IF you've completed and passed a CPAT exam within the last year, you will need to attach that documentation to your My Attachments" section.
a) High School Diploma b) IF you have completed and passed the CPAT exam within the last year, you will need to attach that documentation to your profile
3. Qualifications: Under the My Qualifications section, make sure to list any certifications you currently hold. This may include, but not limited to: Firefighter I or II certification, EMT-B or CPR Certification.
4. Apply: Once you have completed your profile, you MUST apply for the position (The link to Apply is located on the right side of the main menu. An email will be sent confirming you have applied. It will also be displayed in the My Application History section).
5. Assessment: After you apply, click on the link on the right side of the page that says: Click Here to View All My Assessments. Click on the required assessment, then click Take Assessment. You must disable your popup blocker before taking the assessment. Assessments will open in a new internet window.
6. Availability: After you apply, click on the link on the left side of the page that says: Click Here to View Jobs I've Applied for or to Update Availability Details. Click on each position you have applied for and indicate your availability.
7. Background Release Form: Please complete the attached background release form and submit to Human Resources at the address listed below: Background Release Form