Admissions F.A.Q.'s

Is there and admissions fee? Housing fee?

You can apply online or fill out a paper copy application for admissions to Iowa Central free of charge.  There is a housing application you can fill out online or a paper copy that also needs to include a $300 for non-resident or $125 for in state resident non-refundable application fee.

How many students attend Iowa Central?

For the fall 2013 semester, the total student head count was 5,697. This number includes students at our centers in Webster City, Storm Lake, and Fort Dodge.

Average cost to attend?

Iowa Central’s cost for the 2013-2014 school year is $151 per credit for in-state tuition and $219.50 per credit for out-of-state tuition.

What is the average class size?

Our current student to teacher ratio is 22:1. Class sizes vary and usually range from 25-35 students in a classroom. 

Do you have campus security?

We have a full-time campus security team that patrols all hours of the night as well as housing staff and resident advisors living on campus. Click here to learn more about Campus Security.

What type of housing do you offer?

We offer three different types of housing: apartment style, Woodruff West, and Woodruff East.

The apartment style housing includes 15 of the 17 buildings on campus with two bedrooms, a living room, dining room, bathroom, and kitchen.

Woodruff West has apartment style housing with one or two bedrooms, a living room, dining room, bathroom, and kitchen.

Woodruff East is traditional style housing with one bedroom and a common bathroom on each floor.

All housing includes free wireless internet, cable, 19-meals a week (all you can eat buffet) and a membership to the Rec which is our fitness center on campus.

Click here for more information on Housing.

How many people live in each apartment?

Apartments are designed to accommodate 5 students but this may vary depending on housing demand.

How many students live on campus?

For the fall 2013 semester we had 1,195 students living on campus.

When can I visit campus?

We offer several visit days throughout the year.  We have 5 Senior Visit Days, 1 Junior Visit Day, Career Visit Day, and Jam the Gym. If you would like to sign up for an upcoming group visit day, click here.  If the visit days do not work with your schedule, you may set up an individual visit anytime Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Click here to set up an individual campus visit.

Do I have to take the ACTs?

You do not have to take the ACTs. We accept the ACT, SAT, Accuplacer, Compass, or Asset test scores. We offer the Compass test right on campus for no charge the first time you take it.

When do I register for classes and can I register for classes online?

When upcoming semester enrollment approaches, our staff and faculty send out informational emails to all students. Currently, students can only enroll with an advisor in person or by phone.

What is a Triton?

The Triton is our mascot. It is known to be the son of Poseidon and a powerful sea god.

Will I be able to talk to someone if I have questions about transferring to a 4 year institution?

Yes, we have admissions representatives and department associates ready to help you with the transfer process to provide a seamless transfer.  We also have a number of 4-year institutions that come to our campus to visit with our current students about the transfer process.

Can I order books online through Iowa Central?

Yes, our online bookstore is located at:

Do you have a housing deadline?

No, we do not have a housing deadline as our housing is first-come first-serve. It is always best to get your housing application along with the $125 non-refundable deposit in as soon as possible to secure a room on campus. Our housing does fill up quickly each year.

Do you have an application deadline?

No, we do not have an application deadline. By getting your application in soon, it gives you enough time to get all needed information in before the next semester begins.

What programs do you offer?

To see a list of programs that we offer, you can click the Academic Programs link at the top of the page or click here.

How do I pay my bill?

You can pay your bill by phone, mail, or online through TritonPass, your Iowa Central student account.

What is the status of my financial aid?

Once you have become an Iowa Central student by enrolling in classes and submitting your FAFSA, you will be assigned an Iowa Central student account called "TritonPass". Within your TritonPass you will be able to check the status of your financial aid. You may also call our Financial Aid Office at 1-800-362-2793 ext 1033.