Principles and Ethics of Coaching is a one credit course that may be taken as an alternative to the two credit course, Techniques and Theory of Coaching. In addition, this course is one of four courses needed in order to meet the requirements for coaching authorization issued by the Iowa Department of Education. This course will provide knowledge and understanding of the techniques of coaching interscholastic athletics. Principles and Ethics of Coaching is designed to allow students an opportunity to prepare and reflect on the many coaching concepts and responsibilities in regard to management, ethics, and reducing the risk of negligence. The course format is organized to give flexibility and focus on a particular sport of choice.
FlexNet courses are taught via the internet using iNET (located in TritonPass). Students can enroll in a FlexNet course at any time throughout the semester as long as there is space available in the course, except the last three weeks of the term. Students have until the end of the term to complete the course from the time of enrollment and payment. All FlexNet courses end on the same date, the last day of the term, no matter the enrollment date. FlexNet courses do not have weekly deadlines, but it is highly recommended for students to stay on task.
- To offer an opportunity to observe other coaches in action to gain insight on coaching styles, methods, and discipline approaches
- To design a practice plans that focus on time management and game approach
- To breakdown the technical aspects of many different skills that will enhance sport performance
- To design evaluation forms that will be efficient and useful for their sport of choice
- To develop an energy and muscular fitness program for specific position players
- To consider the role of the coach as a role model and develop goals and objectives to live healthy lives
- To have a better understanding of how to be an effective manager and organizer
- To outline a plan to help reduce the risk of negligence
- To consider ethics and character education as it relates to coaching
- To design a coaching philosophy that relates to his/her sport and style of coaching
There is not a required text for this course.
- 15 Assignments
- 15 Assessments
Instructor: David Jump