Registered Nurse Student Responsibilities
1. Student must meet the minimum admissions requirements before they will be considered for admission into the nursing program.
2. The following courses must be completed prior to a student starting the nursing program ("PNN" courses):
BIO-168 Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab
HSC-172 Nurse Aide or equivalent Nurse Aide Course (may be completed for credit or non-credit)
3. Students who would like to be considered for the nursing program must complete the nursing application packet (click to download) and submit it to the health science office by the deadline.
4. Non-native speakers of English will need to submit results of the TOEFL examination (scores need to be within the last three years to be accepted). TOEFL scores of 17 of above in each section - Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
Students must earn a grade of a “C” or better for all required courses in the Registered Nurse (RN) curriculum plan in order to progress in and graduate from the RN program.
*All Science courses are preferred to be completed (BIO-168, BIO-173, BIO-151, BIO-186) within the past 5 years.
Student with an LPN, are preferred to have all Science courses (BIO-168, BIO-173, BIO-151, BIO-186) completed within the past 7 years.
A medical health form and certification in basic cardiac life support must be completed prior to attending clinical. Transportation to the clinical site is the student’s responsibility. Uniforms are purchased by the students and worn to clinical. Upon completion of the program graduates are qualified to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX). Any student with a felony conviction must notify the Iowa Board of Nursing after they have completed requirements for licensure including completion of a course of study and filing an application. All nursing students must complete a Criminal Record/Child and Adult Abuse Check prior to attending clinical.
Recommended Admission Criteria
It is recommended that the following high school courses be taken prior to entrance into the program:
Minimum of a high school diploma (GPA of 2.5) or equivalent (GED of 550 or HiSET 15)
ACT score of 18 or above in English and Reading; ALEKS 30; or ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension 65, WritePlacer 4.
If previous college transcripts have been taken, the GPA is at least 2.0.
Prior to starting the first nursing (PNN) course, students must complete a nurse aide class, be state certified as a CNA and complete BIO-168 Human Anatomy & Physiology I with lab.
- Non-native speakers of English will need to submit results of the TOEFL examination (scores need to be within the last three years to be accepted). TOEFL scores of 17 of above in each section - Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
Webster City and Storm Lake - Fall
Fort Dodge - Fall and Spring
The RN program is approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing.