Practical Nursing Program Student Responsibility
1. Student must meet the minimum admissions requirements before the will be considered for admission into the nursing program.
2. The following courses must be completed prior to a student starting the nursing program ("PNN" courses):
BIO-168 Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab
HSC-172 Nurse Aide or equivalent Nurse Aide Course (may be completed for credit or non-credit)
3. Students who would like to be considered for the nursing program must complete the nursing application packet and submit it to the health science office before the deadline.
4. Non-native speakers of English will need to submit results of the TOEFL examination (scores need to be within the last three years to be accepted). TOEFL scores of 17 of above in each section - Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
Students must earn a grade of a “C” or better for all required courses in the Practical Nursing curriculum plan in order to progress in and graduate from the Practical Nursing program.
*All Science courses completed (BIO-168, BIO-173, BIO-151, BIO-186) are preferred to be completed within the past 5 years.
A medical health form and certification in basic cardiac life support must be completed prior to attending clinical. Transportation to the clinical site is the student’s responsibility. Uniforms are purchased by the students and worn to clinical. Upon completion of the program graduates are qualified to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX). Any student with a felony conviction must notify the Iowa Board of Nursing after they have completed requirements for licensure including completion of a course of study and filing an application. All nursing students must complete a Criminal Record/Child and Adult Abuse Check prior to attending clinical.
Recommended Admission Criteria
It is recommended that the following high school courses be taken prior to entrance into the program:
- Students must have a high school diploma with a minimum gpa of 2.5, or an equivalent GED score of 550 or 8 hours of college credit with at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Students must obtain at least the minimum assessment scores from the following test.
ACT (English 18, Reading 18, Math 20)
COMPASS (Writing 65, Reading 80, Pre-Algebra 64, Algebra 51)
ASSET (Writing 40, Reading 40, Math 46)
ALEKS (Math 30)
- If previous college courses have been taken, the gpa is at least 2.0.
- Fort Dodge - Fall and Spring
- Webster City and Storm Lake - Fall
The Practical Nursing program is approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing.