Iowa Central 2016 Commencement Information
by Iowa Central Information
Posted on 3/23/2016
Iowa Central Community College
FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2016
DR. JOHN E. HODGES FIELDHOUSE
FORT DODGE CENTER
Begins Promptly at 6:00 P.M.
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation day! We are looking forward to sharing your day of celebration with you, your family members and friends. We hope the following information will help to make your graduation more enjoyable. If you have any questions, please stop by the Student Records Office in the Student Support Services building.
- Report to Applied Science and Technology (AST) building (northwest door) no later than 4:45 p.m. on May 6th. You will need to pick up your name card first, then your cap and gown. WE REQUEST STUDENTS ONLY IN THE AST BUILDING DUE TO LIMITED SPACE. Please do not bring any personal items with you; they cannot be left in the AST building and cannot be carried into the ceremony. Iowa Central is not responsible for personal items, as the AST building will be locked once the ceremony starts and will remain locked for the rest of the evening.
- If you feel it would be beneficial to provide us with the phonetic pronunciation of your name as you would like it announced during the ceremony, please call Student Records by Friday, April 22nd (1-800-362-2793 ext. 1019). On the message, please provide your student ID number and make sure to speak clearly and slowly and pronounce your name multiple times.
- If you require any special accommodations on the day of the ceremony, such as special seating or assistance across the stage, please contact the Student Records office prior to the ceremony (1-800-362-2793, ext.1022).
- Parents, relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend the commencement ceremony and reception. Seating is available in Hodges Fieldhouse. Overflow seating is available in Decker Auditorium where the ceremony will be streamed live onscreen. Hodges Fieldhouse does fill up quickly, so it is recommended to arrive early. The doors open at 4:00 p.m. If you have relatives or friends who need special seating accommodations for graduation, please make those arrangements with the Student Records Office prior to the ceremony (1-800-362-2793, ext. 1025). Tickets for special seating are issued for elderly and disabled persons and TWO persons to accompany the elderly or disabled person. NO TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR GENERAL PUBLIC SEATING.
- There will be a shuttle bus running from the parking lots on campus before and after the ceremony. Please review the attached campus map for further details.
- A reception in the Triton Café will follow commencement. All graduates, family and friends are invited to attend.
- Lifetouch Special Events Photography will take your picture as you cross the stage. You will have the option to buy a variety of photo packages for a minimal cost. You are under no obligation to buy this photograph. You will receive an order form from Lifetouch Special Events Photography in the mail. The order form will be sent to your home and your email address. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lifetouch Special Events Photography Customer Service at 1-800-505-9496 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The commencement stage is kept intact for one hour after the ceremony so that you can take your own pictures.
If you are graduating with a 3.50 cumulative G.P.A. or above, you should have received a gold honor cord at the Night of Academic Excellence on April 13th. This honor cord may be worn at commencement. If you have not received your cord, you may pick it up in Samantha McClain’s office in the Bookstore after April 13th or PRIOR to graduation day. No cords will be given out the day of graduation.
If you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa, you may check out a gold stole to wear for graduation from Samantha McClain in the Bookstore. You will need to return the stole to Samantha McClain after commencement or the week following the graduation ceremony. If you would like to purchase the stole, the cost is $24.00, payable to Iowa Central. Stoles will not be available the day of graduation.
If you are a current military member or a veteran and would like to wear a red, white and blue cord during the graduation ceremony, please stop by Student Records with your military ID between April 19th and May 6th or at Grad Fest (see below). It will be provided to you at no cost by Iowa Central in recognition of your service to our country.
CAPS AND GOWNS
Your graduation fee pays for your diploma, diploma cover, transcript(s), cap with tassel and signet and gown. Cap and gown are yours to keep when you attend commencement.
- Caps and gowns can be picked up in advance on Monday, April 25th from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. in the Student Resource Center during Grad Fest! If you are unable to attend Grad Fest, caps and gowns will be also be available on Friday, May 6th, beginning at 4:00 p.m. in the Applied Science and Technology building.
- Your tassel should hang from the right side of your cap before you graduate. You may keep your cap with tassel and signet, gown, diploma cover and honor/veteran cord.
- You will be lined up according to degree and proceeding to the fieldhouse in this order: High School Equivalency Diplomas, Certificates, Diplomas, AAS, AS, APS, AGS and AA. You may choose which line to walk in if you are receiving more than one degree.
- Marshals will lead the graduates into the fieldhouse followed by faculty and platform guests. After marching in, DO NOT SIT DOWN. Remain standing until you have been directed to be seated.
- When your degree category is called, stand together and move left up to the stage. Marshals will guide you.
- Please hand your name card to the attendant and whisper the pronunciation of your name (this should match exactly what is written on your reader card). The attendant will then pass the reader card to the reader. Your name will be read exactly as it spelled out on the card, so please make any corrections that need to be made prior to the ceremony.
- As soon as the reader starts reading your name, you should go across the stage and receive your diploma cover. Move down the other side of the stage, stop for a photo and proceed to your seat. SIT IMMEDIATELY SO THOSE BEHIND YOU CAN SEE.
- Recessional order will be platform guests, faculty and then graduates. We will continue out of the fieldhouse, through the faculty receiving line and into the Triton Café for the reception. Please make arrangements to meet your family at the Triton Café.
Total credits, grade point averages and account balances are verified before diplomas are mailed.
If you have any questions, please stop in or call Student Records at 1-800-362-2793, ext. 1022.