2014 Commencement Information
by Iowa Central Information
Posted on 4/16/2014
1. Report to Applied Science and Technology (AST) 101 (northwest door) no later than 5:30 p.m. on May 9th. You will need to pick up your name card first, then your cap and gown. WE REQUEST STUDENTS ONLY IN THE AST BUILDING DUE TO LIMITED SPACE. You may pick up your cap and gown as early as 4:30 p.m. The earlier you arrive, the better. Please do not bring any personal items with you; they cannot be left in the AST building and cannot be carried into the ceremony. Iowa Central is not responsible for personal items as the AST building will be locked once the ceremony starts and will remain locked for the rest of the evening.
2.If you feel it would be beneficial to provide us with the phonetic pronunciation of your name as you would like it announced during the ceremony, please call Student Records at 515-574-1019 by Friday, April 25th. On the message, please make sure to speak clearly and slowly and pronounce your name multiple times.
3.If you require any special accommodations on the day of the ceremony, such as special seating or assistance across the stage, please contact the Student Records office prior to the ceremony (1-800-362-2793, ext.1022).
4.Parents, relatives, and friends are cordially invited to attend the commencement ceremony and reception. Seating is available in Hodges Field House. Overflow seating is available in Decker Auditorium where the ceremony will be streamed live onscreen. Hodges Field House does fill up quickly, so it is recommended to arrive early. The doors open at 5:00 p.m. If you have friends or relatives who need special seating accommodations for graduation, please make those arrangements with the Student Records Office prior to the ceremony (1-800-362-2793, ext. 1025). Tickets for special seating are issued for elderly and disabled persons and TWO persons to accompany the elderly or disabled person. NO TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR GENERAL PUBLIC SEATING.
5.There will be a shuttle bus running from the parking lots on campus before and after the ceremony. Please review the attached campus map for further details (see attached).
6. A reception in the Triton Café will follow commencement. All graduates, family, and friends are invited to attend. If you and your family plan to attend the reception please RSVP to email@example.com.
7. Lifetouch Special Events Photography will take your picture as you cross the stage. You will have the option to buy a variety of photo packages for a minimal cost. You are under no obligation to buy this photograph. You will receive an order form from Lifetouch Special Events Photography in the mail. The order form will be sent to your home and your email address. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lifetouch Special Events Photography Customer Service at 1-800-505-9496 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The commencement stage is kept intact for one hour after the ceremony so that you can take your own pictures.
If you are graduating with a 3.50 cumulative G.P.A. or above, you should have received a gold honor cord at the Night of Academic Excellence on April 8th. This honor cord may be worn at commencement. If you have not received your cord, you may pick it up in Samantha McClain’s office in the Bookstore after April 8th or PRIOR to graduation day. No cords will be given out the day of graduation.
If you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa, you may check out a gold stole to wear for graduation from Samantha McClain in the Bookstore. You will need to return the stole to Samantha McClain after commencement or the week following the graduation ceremony. If you would like to purchase the stole, the cost is $25, payable to Iowa Central. Stoles will not be available the day of graduation.
CAPS AND GOWNS
Your graduation fee pays for your diploma, diploma cover, tassel and signet, and rental of the cap and gown.
1. Caps and gowns will be available at 4:30 p.m. in AST 101 on May 9th. **CAP & GOWN MUST BE RETURNED TO THE TRITON CAFÉ FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY. TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE HELD IF NOT RETURNED, DUE TO AN ADDITIONAL CAP & GOWN FEE THAT WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ACCOUNT.**
2. Your tassel should hang from the left side of your cap before you graduate. You may keep your tassel, signet, diploma cover, and honor cord.
1. You will be lined up according to degree: GED, AAS, AS, AGS, AA, Diplomas and Certificates. You may choose which line to walk in if you are receiving more than one degree.
2. Marshals will lead the graduates into the field house followed by faculty and platform guests. After marching in, DO NOT SIT DOWN. Remain standing until you have been directed to be seated.
3. When your degree category is called, stand together and move left up to the stage. Marshals will guide you.
4. Please hand your name card to the attendant and whisper the pronunciation of your name. The attendant will then pass the reader card to the reader. Your name will be read just as it spelled out on the card so please make any corrections that need to be made prior to the ceremony.
5. As soon as the reader starts reading your name, you should go across the stage and receive your diploma cover. Move down the other side of the stage, stop for a photo, and proceed to your seat. SIT IMMEDIATELY SO THOSE BEHIND YOU CAN SEE.
6. Recessional order will be platform guests, faculty, and then graduates. We will continue out of the field house, through the faculty receiving line, and into the Triton Café for the reception. Please make arrangements to meet your family at the Triton Café.
TOTAL CREDITS, GRADE POINT AVERAGES, ACCOUNT BALANCES, AND FINANCIAL AID EXIT COUNSELING ARE VERIFIED BEFORE DEGREES ARE TRANSCRIPTED AND DIPLOMAS ARE MAILED.
If you have any questions, please stop in or call Student Records at 1-800-362-2793, ext. 1022.