High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) (formerly GED®)
Begin working on your High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) and get started on the life you deserve.
Iowa Central Community College, along with all Iowa community colleges, offers HSED (High School Equivalency Diploma) classes to assist students in completing the five HiSET sub test areas in a computer based test format. The HiSET (High School Equivalency Test) offers students the same High School Equivalency Diploma from the state of Iowa as GED® has in the past.
The Adult Education/Literacy Program offers free services to adults 16 years and older in the Iowa Central Community College area. Students must be 17 years or older to take the HiSET tests unless there is a court order.
- HSED classes are offered in four counties. Students study with trained instructors in Fort Dodge, Jefferson, Storm Lake, and Webster City to successfully complete the five HiSET subtest areas: Writing, Math, Literature, Science, and Social Studies. Students participate in Math, Writing, and Reading academies with targeted instruction for these subtests. Official HISET tests are administered in Fort Dodge, Webster City, and Storm Lake. Additional online study is available to students attending face-to-face classes.
For more information about the HiSET please check out: http://hiset.ets.org/test_takers
3 Steps Towards Earning Your High School Equivalency Diploma
Step 1: Attend free HSED classes
All students must register and attend orientation to join a class.
HSED Classes are offered in...
|Fort Dodge||M, T, W, TH
|Iowa Central Fort Dodge Campus
Applied Science & Technology Building, Room 410
T & TH @ 6:00pm-8:30pm
Online instruction required along with class participation
|United Methodist Church
307 S. Wilson
|Storm Lake||T, W, TH @ 9:00an-2:00pm
M & TH @ 5:30pm-7:30pm
T, & W @ 4:30pm-7:30pm
|AEA 8 Building||
|Webster City||M & W @ 5:00pm-7:00pm
T & TH @ 4:00pm-7:00pm
|Webster City Iowa Central Campus||
Step 2: Obtain HiSET (High School Equivalency Test) approval
HiSET test candidates will:
- Qualify for each HiSET subtest by taking official practice tests in class
- Complete a paper pre-registration in class
- Have a current state-issued photo identification
- 17 & 18 year olds must turn in documentation of high school withdrawal before pre-registration
- Register online for HiSET – this will done in class with an instructor’s guidance
Step 3: Begin testing
- Each of the five HiSET subtests will be scheduled and paid for through the HiSET online website. Testing cost is $50 if the whole fee is paid to HiSET up front or $10/test if paid separately. Students can pay with a check/credit/debit card or vouchers can be purchased at the Iowa Central bookstores. Testing is computer based and is offered at the following Iowa Central Testing Centers:
- Fort Dodge
- Storm Lake
- Webster City
- Testers must bring their Iowa Verification for HSED test form and photo ID to the testing site.