Team UNEEK is a 5 to 10 member male crew, mainly focusing on hip hop skills. This team performs at senior visit days, at occasional fine arts and sporting events, and with the Dance Team to recruitment performances. The team performs co-ed routines as well as all-male dances.
The purpose of the Iowa Central Dance Team is to:
- Promote good sportsmanship and teamwork among students and alumni.
- Uphold and promote school spirit through performances at sporting events.
- Provide enthusiastic entertainment.
- Support both athletics and fine arts on campus through performances.
- Develop and maintain a respected presence on campus and in the community.
- Showcase the talent of the dancers, the communication of the music, and the spirit of the college while providing members with opportunities that will create respect, team unity, and success.
The motto of the Dance Team is Persistence, Passion, Pride
- Persistence: Members must put forth effort to better themselves each day and to reach their goals.
- Passion: Members must let their drive and desire for dance show in each performance.
- Pride: The team must collectively find satisfaction and fulfillment in their work.
The goals of Team UNEEK are as follows:
- Provide Triton fans and community members with performances with a high level of difficulty and energy that will result in a positive entertainment experience.
- Become a competitive force in the collegiate all-male dance circuit.
- Incorporate challenging moves using all different styles of hip hop that are on the cutting edge in today’s dance world.
- Become good role models for younger male dancers through high school performances and invitations to our performances.
- Create collaboration between athletics and the fine arts through performances throughout the season for both areas.
- Be a positive force on campus and in the community by sharing the art of dance as well as support through charity work and public appearances.
- Provide a motivating experience for all dancers involved by increasing technique, synchronicity, difficulty, team bonding, and further dance training to help members gain confidence and poise in performance and in life.
Auditions are held each year, generally in April for the Dance Team and Team UNEEK. All candidates are judged on:
- Required dance skills
- Special skills
- General dance ability
- Attitude and learning ability
Auditions are a one day event and are judged by a panel of past dance team members, area dance instructors, and the director. Team lists are emailed to all candidates no later than a week after the auditions. All team members must re-audition each year and commit themselves to a full school year of performances.
Team UNEEK is a hip hop crew, but will also be asked to embrace other styles of dance including: novelty/character, jazz, and many styles of hip hop. The team is self choreographed so members are expected to work together as a team to come up with the best ideas that fit the style of the music, work best for the group’s skill set, and satisfy the director’s design intentions. Guest choreographers will be brought in from time to time.
Team UNEEK members may be asked to attend a short camp at the beginning of both semesters. The purpose of camp is to learn and brainstorm choreography for the upcoming semester’s shows. Team members may be asked to join practices with the Dance Team as well as the cheerleaders in preparation for the semester’s routines.
- Team UNEEK is offered as a 1 credit class. All dancers are allowed 3 excused absences for the semester. Excused absences are serious injury/illness, family emergencies, class requirements, or a prearranged absence. Prearranged absences must be approved by the director two weeks in advance. All other excused absences must be communicated to the coach via email, phone or text PRIOR to the start of the rehearsal.
- Team UNEEK meets two times a week with the coach and two times a week to rehearse and choreograph on their own. Team members will be asked to rehearse some days with the dancers during their 3-5 rehearsal time and will be notified about these dates in advance. (Practice times will vary and be decided upon based on students’ class schedules.)
- Rehearsal begins promptly at the start time and attendance is taken at this time. A member is considered tardy 5 minutes after the start time and this will affect the member’s grade.
- It is the member’s responsibility to make up the material missed in practice by getting together with another dancer and/or team captain PRIOR to the next practice.
- Unexcused absences and tardiness will result in demerits which can involve lowered grades, removal of scholarships, and/or removal from performances. You cannot schedule work, meetings, or appointments during daily practices.
- Every team member is EXTREMELY important in the choreography given to the group. You must work hard in each rehearsal to learn the moves as you are needed for each and every performance.
Team UNEEK may compete/perform for exhibition at the following events each year:
- Symposium Talent Contest (Fort Dodge, IA)
- Iowa State Dance and Drill Team Competition (Des Moines, IA)
- Iowa’s Best Hip Hop Dancer (Cedar Falls, IA)
- *More competitions may be added depending on the year’s budget and the teams’ schedule.
The Dance team became a competitive team in 2006 and prides itself on the increasing accomplishments of the team each year. Team UNEEK became a competitive team in 2009 and continues to seek out more competitive events. The purpose of competition is to provide a place to recognize the efforts of the dancers and their athleticism, to provide recruitment for the college, and to grow and improve as a team.
All costumes and team bags are the property of Iowa Central and are issued to each member at the start of each semester or as needed throughout. The team has one main uniform and various other costumes for performance and competition. Team warm-ups are issued and worn to all events. The school spends thousands of dollars on these items, and team members must treat them with care.
All performances are mandatory, and it is the member’s responsibility to perform at all assigned events for their team.
Every dancer will receive a copy of the dance team schedule, which includes the following athletic, fine arts, and campus events:
- All Triton home football games and half-times
- Selected home men’s Triton basketball games and half-times
- Graphic Edge Bowl Game
- Jam the Gym
- Pep Rallies
- Homecoming Week activities/performances
- Spotlight on the Stars
- Holiday Concert
- Showcase Spring Concert
- Senior Visit Days
- Dub-H Hip Hop Show
- Curtain Call (Dance fundraiser concert)
- High school/college dance team nights
Members represent the dance team while on campus, at events, in practice, and in the community. All members will take pride in their appearance and behavior while present in the community.
- Members will use tasteful subject matter in conversations in public while wearing team costumes and warm-ups.
- Members will not use tobacco, alcohol, or any other drugs while in uniform or while wearing any Iowa Central apparel.
- Members will not come to rehearsal/performance under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Members will not come to rehearsal/performance suffering the aftereffects of any drug or alcohol.
- Members will not possess or consume controlled substances in campus housing or while on school grounds.
- Members will not threaten, fight, or harass teammates or classmates in campus housing or while on school grounds.
- Members will not disobey the campus policy of tobacco use.
- Members will not be convicted of any crime.
- Members will refrain from using drugs and alcohol, fighting, and having opposite sex guests in all hotel rooms while traveling to competitions and/or performances.