Transfer of College Credit into Iowa Central

When evaluating transcripts from other regionally accredited, post-secondary institutions, Iowa Central considers the guidelines of AACRAO (the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers). Iowa Central requires a paper copy of an official transcript sent by the other college to the Student Records Office before credit is placed on the Iowa Central transcript. A student must have 12 semester hours of credit at Iowa Central for transfer credit to be transcripted.

Transfer courses are evaluated in respect to the program and/or major that the student is seeking at Iowa Central:

  • All courses taken, including “F’s”, are transferred in and are included in the GPA for students seeking an AA or AS degree. Students are encouraged to repeat the “F” courses at Iowa Central in order to improve their GPA.
  • Only courses required by the program are transferred in for the AAS degree and the one year diploma programs.
  • Military credit transferring in is based on ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations. Credit is not given for military basic training.
  • Sixteen hours of Vocational Technical credit applies toward the 16 hours of elective credit for the AA degree.
  • Transfer credit is granted by Iowa Central based on the credits granted at the awarding institution. Quarter hours of credit are converted to semester hours. Other unusual credit granting options are looked at based on the narrative on the reverse of the sending colleges’ transcript.

Students are responsible for monitoring their transfer of credit into Iowa Central. Students are encouraged to provide course descriptions or other documentation about their transfer credit if they do not agree with the Registrar’s evaluation of their credit. Transfer credit appears on the Iowa Central degree audit with the label of TE.