GI Bill Benefits

2016 Military Friendly

VA education benefit eligibility is based on an individual service-member or veterans specific information.  Iowa Central’s VA Certifying Official can help the student in determining which benefit he/she could be eligible for but the final determination will come from the VA Office. 

To receive VA education benefits the student must notify a Certifying Official at Iowa Central after you have registered for classes EACH semester.  Iowa Central does not automatically certify students every semester, therefore failure to notify the Certifying Official could result in processing delays of student’s benefits. (Montgomery GI Bill)

The Montgomery GI Bill has different sets of eligibility requirements based on your active duty service. The benefits available under each category may vary depending on your particular situation and length of active service. You need meet only one set of eligibility requirements to obtain benefits.
The basic requirements for eligibility under Chapter 30 are:

  • becoming a member of the armed forces after June 30, 1985
  • contributing the amount required ($100/month)
  • receiving an honorable discharge
  • receiving a high school diploma, GED certificate, or having completed 12 semester hours leading to a college degree prior to completing the initial obligated period of active duty, and completing your initial obligated period of active duty.

If you were separated from active duty for reasons that could be classified as "convenience of the government," you may be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits without meeting the length of service requirement.
Monthly payments under Chapter 30 will depend on time in service, which branch of service you were in, and the amount of hours taken each semester.

To be eligible under Chapter 31, you must receive or be entitled to receive compensation for a service-connected disability at a rating of 20 percent or greater. You must have been discharged or released from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable. The need and nature of vocational rehabilitation necessary to overcome your disabilities are determined by the DVA. Generally, Chapter 31 expires 12 years following the date you were notified of your eligibility. That time frame may be extended at the discretion of the DVA. Benefits include payment of tuition, fees, books, supplies, and a monthly subsistence allowance. (Survivors' and Dependents')

Spouses and dependent children (ages 18-26) of deceased veterans or veterans who are 100 percent permanently and totally disabled are eligible, provided that the veteran’s death or disability was/is service connected.
Also included are the spouses and dependent children of service persons in cases where those service persons have been listed for more than 90 days, and who remain in one of the following three categories:

  • missing in action
  • captured in the line of duty
  • forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign power

If you are an eligible child 18 years of age or older, or if you are under 18 and have graduated from high school, the DVA may begin your educational benefits. You are entitled to 45 months of training, provided that you complete the training by the delimiting date. (Montgomery GI Bill)

In order to be eligible for Chapter 1606 benefits, you must:

  • Commit to a six-year obligation after 7/1/1985 in the Selected Reserves or the National Guard.
  • Complete your high school diploma or GED certificate.
  • Complete your IADT (Initial Active Duty for Training)
  • Be participating satisfactorily in the required training for your unit.

Your period of basic eligibility dates from the time you complete your requirements, and lasts for a period of 10 years. If you separate from the Selected Reserves or National Guard, your entitlement ends on the date of separation. If you separate as a result of a disability, you may remain eligible for the entire 10 years, even though you are not training. (Post 9/11 GI Bill)

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing. Under this bill, you may receive:

  • a tuition & fees payment (paid directly to the school) not to exceed the tuition & fees at the most expensive state Institution of Higher Learning (IHL)
  • a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents
  • an annual book stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment (Post 9/11 Transferability)

A Servicemember may transfer some or all of their unused Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit to their spouse or dependent children.  The Department of Defense determines the servicemember’s eligibility to transfer the benefit.  Once the DoD approves the benefit for transfer, the servicemember’s family member needs to apply with the VA to use the benefit.