All students enrolled in an online class will need access to a laptop or desktop computer to complete their coursework.
Below are the minimum hardware and software requirements for enrollment in an online class. If you have questions about these requirements, please contact your Online Enrollment Representative.
- Microsoft Office 2016 highly recommended (Iowa Central provides it as long as you’re an active student with Iowa Central)
- 4GB RAM minimum; or higher
- 1024×768 or greater monitor and video card
- 75GB or higher of free hard drive space
- A current up to date anti-virus application
- DVD ROM drive for course material(s)
- Sound card with speakers
- Access to a digital camera or web camera to take pictures for documentation of work done
- Access to a recording device or a high quality web cam for SPC-112 (web cam should be tested prior to the start of class)
- Operating systems installed:
- Windows 8 or higher
- Mac iOS
- Persistent high speed broadband connection (DSL or Cable) (Dial-up/Modem Connection won’t work for these courses. Tethering also won’t work)
- Browser Software (Either one will work)
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla FireFox
- Latest version of Java (Version 8 Update 131) installed
- Latest version of Flash (Version 184.108.40.206) installed
- Click on the link to see other recommended software (Help Desk Knowledgebase)
- Additional working monitor, keyboard and mouse will be needed for computer kit (needed if you’re in the Computer Networking Technology program)
Iowa Central is awesome. There are personable teachers, a large campus feel, excellent music and drama departments, and the college is generous with scholarships. I’ve had some of the best experiences of my life here.