All students enrolled in an online class will need access to a laptop or desktop computer to complete their coursework.
Below are the minimum hardware and software requirements for enrollment in an online class. If you have questions about these requirements, please contact your Online Enrollment Representative.
- Microsoft Office (Iowa Central provides it as long as you’re an active student).
- 4GB RAM minimum; or higher
- Operating systems installed:
- Windows 10 or higher
- Mac iOS
- 50GB or higher of free hard drive space
- A current up to date anti-virus application
- Access to a recording device or a high quality web camera for SPC-112 (Public Speaking). Camera should be tested prior to the start of class.
- Persistent high speed broadband connection. (Tethering won’t work)
- Browser Software (Either one will work)
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla FireFox
- Visit Help Desk Knowledgebase for other recommended software
Additional Requirements by program
Computer Networking and Securing Information Technology
- Access to a digital camera or web camera to take pictures for documentation of work done
- Additional working monitor, keyboard and mouse will be needed for computer kit (needed if you’re in the Computer Networking Technology program)
Iowa Central will provide you access to the Adobe Creative Cloud software which will be used in many of your courses. You are required to have a computer that is capable of running these applications before you start your courses. Here are the minimum requirements for your device.
- You will need a device with 8GB of memory, 8GB of available hard-disk space for installation and an additional high-speed drive for media. (Please note, these are the minimum requirements and some applications may run slower.)
- Adobe Creative Cloud can be used on a PC or Mac.
- PC Requirements
- Operating system of Windows 10 (64-bit) version 1909 or later
- Processor Intel 6th Gen or newer CPU of AMD Ryzen 1000 Series or newer CPU
- Mac Requirements
- Operating system of maxOS v10.15 (Catalina) or later
- Intel 6th Gen or newer CPU
- ChromeBooks, SurfaceGos and other tablet devices will not support this software.
Additional equipment needed to complete coursework includes the following:
- Digital Camera with manual mode (dSLR or Mirrorless and the option for an interchangeable lens) is recommended. A smartphone with Lightroom Mobile installed can be used as well.
- Device to record video
- Video Light
- USB microphone
- Art Supplies
I chose Iowa Central because both of my parents came here and absolutely loved the environment. I was able to be a part of so many programs at once which isn't offered at other colleges. I knew right away after visiting that it would be a great school where I could better myself as a student and as an athlete.